Week 1 of the high school football season is in the books. For those who are counting, 10 percent of the regular season is finished.
As we get ready for Week 2, there’s six games on the slate Friday, including Madison at Lakeside and intra-county matchups Jefferson at Geneva and Grand Valley at Edgewood.
Conneaut and Pymatuning Valley also have home contests, while St. John is away.
But first, as I sat through our video show with sports reporter Brendan Feeney (the show can be accessed at www.starbeacon.com) on Sunday, I was thinking of the starting quarterbacks for the nine Star Beacon teams this season.
There are five first-year starters, including four underclassmen. Jefferson’s DJ Hall is the lone senior from the group.
Geneva’s Ben Scibona is a junior, while Lakeside’s Garrette Siebeneck, PV’s Garrett Smith and St. John’s Seth Thomas are all sophomores.
In addition, Edgewood’s Zach Winchell, who played last season, is a sophomore.
With Conneaut, Grand Valley and Madison each starting the year with senior quarterbacks, a new set of starters will be broken in next season.
Now, on to the games in Week 2.
• Madison (0-1) at Lakeside (0-1): Both teams are searching for their first win of the 2019 season. The Blue Streaks lost a heartbreaker when Geneva scored with just seconds left to claim a 22-19 win. Junior Austin McCourt gained 74 yards for Madison. Sienbeneck threw for 172 yards and two TDs in a loss to Struthers. The Dragons downed Madison 14-9 at Lakeside two seasons ago, but the Blue Streaks repaid the favor with a 29-0 triumph last year.
• Jefferson (1-0) at Geneva (1-0): The Falcons’ 34-14 win over GV last Friday is the type that could get Jefferson rolling again. It was a long 18 games, but second-year coach Ed Rankin finally earned his first Jefferson win. The Falcons busted out in the second half, scoring 20 points in the fourth quarter. Junior Danny Bruckman rushed for 174 yards and four TDs. The Eagles picked up a signature win over Madison. Blake Peet led the ground game with 170 yards, while Scibona went 4 of 12 through the air. This is the first meeting between the county schools since 2011 (a 42-27 Jefferson win).
• GV (0-1) at Edgewood (0-1): Both teams will look to get on track on Friday at Corlew Field. In the loss against Jefferson, the Mustangs received 99 yards rushing from David Nye. The Warriors couldn’t get much going against Conneaut last Thursday, but Winchell thew for 157 yards.
• Lakeview (Pa.) (0-2) at Conneaut (1-0): The Sailors have played two games already and been outscored 79-9. The Spartans are home for a second straight week, playing their first Friday game of the season. Conneaut rolled up 445 yards in a 49-0 win over Edgewood in the opener. The Spartans had a balanced attack, paced by Rylan Davison’s 183 yards. Zach Rice picked up 133 yards and Seth Fedor added 98.
• Cardinal at PV (0-1): The Huskies ran into a buzzsaw last Friday and dropped a 54-6 decision to Garfield. The Lakers fell in the last minute when Mineral Ridge QB Dakota Edwards sprinted for a TD. Smith went 2 of 6 for 76 yards and Tyler Bean added 2 of 10 for 59 with a TD to Jonah Wilkerson. Bean also rushed 19 times for 97 yards.
• St. John (0-1) at Holgate (1-0): A battle of 8-man teams this season. Holgate, which is about 30 minutes west of Bowling Green, opened with a 62-33 win over Stryker. The Heralds started with a 40-22 loss to Mathews. Caleb Hill, Cameron Hill and Devyn Mercillott tallied the St. John TDs.