Geneva hurler tosses one-hitter; McAlpine, Maloney shut out Ledgemont
Pitchers were in midseason form as the scholastic baseball wars got under way Monday.
At Grand Valley, Geneva's D.J. Rose pitched a one-hitter as the Eagles blanked the Mustangs, 3-0. Kevin Hopkins and Nick Henderlight combined to allow just six hits for Grand Valley (0-1). Rose and Bobby Fortune each had two hits with a double for Geneva (1-0) while Rose coasted through the GV lineup, striking out 10 and walking none. Hopkins had the only hit for the Mustangs.
Fairport's Mark McAlpine allowed Ledgemont just one hit in four innings before Sean Maloney worked a scoreless fifth in a 12-0 shutout. McAlpine walked seven but also struck out seven for the Skippers (1-0). Curt Oberg had two doubles among his four hits and four runs scored, while Zach Hilyard and Danny Ward each spanked three hits and McAlpine added two.
- JEFFERSON 12, FORT LeBOEUF (PA.) 2 - Four Jefferson pitchers - James Ashley, Will Holik, Cory DeyErmand and Adam Miller - combined on a one-hitter for the Falcons. Jim Savel and Miller tripled and Ryan Morford, Savel, Drew Puckrin, Andy Saksa and Matt Tucker all doubled, with Tucker smacking two two-baggers. Zak Blair had three hits and two RBI.
- LAKE CATHOLIC 3, RIVERSIDE 2 - The Beavers fell despite Ben Jarabeck's two-run double in the top of the seventh.
Lakeside's Christina Hutchison hurled a one-hitter of her own, striking out eight and walking one, with the Dragons edging Champion, 1-0. The Dragons (1-0) scored their lone run in the fifth inning.
- CHAGRIN FALLS 4, CARDINAL 1 - Amethyst Brigham and Chelsea Gingerich had two hits each in a losing cause for the Huskies (0-1). Jen Shisson took the victory for Chagrin Falls (1-0), scattering five hits.
- GENEVA 16, GRAND VALLEY 3 - Geneva pounded out 11 hits and benefited from 15 walks. Brittney Zele led the hit parade with three hits, with Abby Korovich, Kayla Tersigni and Vicky McBean all adding two hits for the Eagles (1-0).
Jefferson got off to a quick start, defeating Lakeview 5-0, winning all three singles matches in three sets. Andrew Martin, Greg Buchan and Mike Hardin took the singles wins.
- Chris Larick
This Week's Circulars
ASHTABULA [ndash] Loving father and husband, Robert T. Gray, 32 passed away unexpectedly March 28th. Private services will be held. Full obituary online at guerrierofuneralhome.com, contributions can be made to Guerriero Funeral Home. Love You Most Babe.
GENEVA [ndash] David W. Thompson, age 84 of Geneva, died Friday, April 3, 2020 at the Geneva Village Retirement Center. He was born December 23, 1935 in Flemington, WVA., the son of David and Virginia A. (Stutler) Thompson. He was a supervisor for Metal Wheel before going to work at True Tem…
- Ashtabula County gets D- for distancing
- Ashtabula Area City Schools employee tests positive for COVID-19
- Walmart places restrictions on shoppers
- Coronavirus leads Walmart to put restrictions in place
- Husband of coronavirus patient speaks out from quarantine: 'Take this seriously'
- Ohio State Highway Patrol reaches out to community
- Geese take nest in North Kingsville yard
- COVID-19 comes to Ashtabula County
- Ashtabula County now has two coronavirus cases
- Local optometrist helps disabled man during pandemic