Geneva's varsity volleyball team built it's record to 3-1 by whipping NDCL in three games, 25-20, 25-18, 25-21, on Monday.
Larissa Spoor had 15 points (5 aces), was 11-13 spiking (4 aces), 16-16 passing and had five digs. Brittany Powers scored 13 points, was 12-15 spiking, 9-9 passing and had six digs. Serena Caruso paced NDCL with three ace spikes, 20 assists, three blocks, six points (three aces) and five digs.
- MATHEWS 25-25-20-27, PYMATUNING VALLEY 19-11-25-25 - Breanne Gollan had six ace spikes and five ace blocks for Mathews (7-0, 4-0). Bridgette Jewell had 14 points and Jenn Tennant 10 points for PV (1-3, 1-3).
Courtney Thompson, Carol Ann Sterkenberg and Kristen Fortune took singles victories as Geneva swept Lakeside, 5-0, to remain undefeated (6-0) in the NEC. The Eagles are 9-3 overall.
- CONNEAUT 3, JEFFERSON 2 - Becky Betteridge and Kaylee Ely won points for Conneaut (3-7, 2-4) at singles. Freshman Chelsea Jarrell won for Jefferson (7-3, 5-2) at first singles.
- PERRY 5, RICHMOND HEIGHTS 0 - Nicole Hogan posted a win at first singles and Kaley Kahoun followed that with her victory at second singles for the Pirates (6-5).
Troy Orahood shot a 39 and Chris Hootman added a 40 for the Pymatuning Valley Lakers (3-5, 2-5) in a 173-194 victory over the SS. John and Paul Heralds. Jon Acierno paced SJP (0-5) with a 45 and Amanda Hardy contributed a 47.
- BERKSHIRE 169, FAIRPORT - The Badgers were paced by Oliver Tiber with a 39 and Travis Pollari with a 40. Scott Schuster had a 46 and Jay Schiffbauer a 48 for Fairport.
Edgewood finished third to Mayfield and North with it's 237, led by Kim Olson with a 58 and Maggie Manning with a 59. Mayfield had a 204, led by Helen Daher's 45 and North carded a 226, paced by Carly Brandt's 51.
Lakeside and Conneaut fought to a scoreless tie. Christina Hutchison had four saves in goal for Lakeside and Kelsey Graner three for Conneaut.
- JEFFERSON 6, HARVEY 1 - Callie Bush had a hat trick for the Falcons (5-1, 1-1 in NEC) and Megan Gochneaur scored twice. Maria Rangel notched Harvey's only goal.
- GENEVA 1, EDGEWOOD 0 - Liza Kobelt had the only goal of the game for Geneva (5-0, 2-0) on an assist from Krista Blake. Jordan Cunha had six saves for Edgewood (3-2, 1-1), while Jill Nazor posted three for Geneva.
Chris Pildner fired a 44 to lead Lakeside (7-4) to a 185-198 triumph over Perry. Perry was paced by David Dubevsky with a 46. Lakeside hosts SJP today at Chapel Hills.
Junior high girls golf
Jordan Trenn had a 48 as Lakeside (4-0) downed Jefferson, 216-231. Jesse Spangler had a 55 for Jefferson.
Junior high tennis
Erica Ginn and Marissa Dioness led Lakeside to a 5-0 victory over Geneva in the first match for both teams with wins at first and second singles. Lakeside (1-0) visits Perry Wednesday.
Junior high volleyball
Braden edged SS. John and Paul in three sets, 25-17, 25-13, 25-21. Kayla Tobias and Amanda Rodenbocker had seven points each in the first set for Braden, Grace Kendezereski had eight in the second and Becca Mugavero six in the third. SJP was led by Katie Beacom with five points in the first set.
- Chris Larick
Star Beacon Print Edition: 9/12/2006