In July of 2019 my father became unexpectedly ill and passed away. Following his passing, while I was still grieving his death, I was responsible for many aspects of his estate, including property taxes. One morning I called the Ashtabula County Treasurer’s Office to inquire about hours and I spoke with the Treasurer Dawn Cragon. I was told that the office was open from 8 a.m. – noon. I work for a living, blue collar. I told the treasurer that the hours are not very useful for the working man. She then told me that I should have planned ahead, tax bills are due two times per year, they do not sneak up on you. The current treasurer obviously believes the taxpayers should expect the unexpected, including the untimely death of a loved one, and under no circumstance should we expect her to be inconvenienced after noon by doing the job we, the taxpayers, pay her to do. Dawn Cragon has forgotten she was elected by the people of this county to work for us and must be replaced. My vote will be for Angie Maki-Cliff for Ashtabula County treasurer, the only candidate with experience and a genuine desire to serve Ashtabula County.
This Week's Circulars
ASHTABULA - Luis C. Castrillion, 26, passed away October 26, 2020 in UH Cleveland Medical Center following a brief illness. Funeral services will be announced by the Czup Funeral Home, 1329 Lake Ave., Ashtabula. www.czupfuneral.com
ASHTABULA - Margaret Mello, 102, passed away October 24, 2020 in Bradenton, FL. Funeral Mass will be held Thursday, November 5 at 11AM in Mother of Sorrows Church. Calling hours 10-11AM at the church prior to the Mass.
- Police dismantle large methamphetamine network
- Woman receives hostile note in McDonalds order
- Owner demolishes landmark, making room for positive development
- Sorber looking forward to facing former school
- Ashtabula BOE extends superintendent's contract
- Volpi sole shareholder of Albino's, now Reese's
- County's COVID-19 cases rising
- Buckeye School Board amends contracts for superintendent and technology administrator
- State to test Ashtabula and Conneaut wastewater for COVID-19
- Johnson and Niemi face off in sheriff's race