Man arrested after high speed chase, crash

SAYBROOK TOWNSHIP — A man was arrested Wednesday after a high-speed chase through several communities ended in a crash that sent one person to the hospital.

Jefferson police would not release the name of the man, whom they said is in the Ashtabula County jail. Mastafa Siler, 37, of Ashtabula, was brought to the jail by Jefferson police and booked on charges of unauthorized use of a motor vehicle, tampering with evidence, failure to comply with the order or signal of a police officer, aggravated vehicular assault and aggravated possession of drugs, according to the jail.

Officers were sent to Presrite Corp., 322 S. Cucumber St., during the early morning hours where Siler was accused of assaulting a woman who works there, police said.

Police arrived and took a report, but Siler had left. Later in the day police were called back because Siler was accused of returning to the business although he again left prior to their arrival, police said.

Jefferson police patrolled the area for Siler, who was now accused of driving in a stolen vehicle, and when they found him he wouldn’t pull over, police said.

A pursuit at speeds that at times exceeded 100 miles per hour began and Siler is accused of leading police through the village of Jefferson, Jefferson, Plymouth and Ashtabula townships, the city of Ashtabula and Saybrook Township.

Siler attempted to turn at a high speed on to Carpenter Road in Saybrook Township and he hit another vehicle, police said. A woman driving that other vehicle was transported to Ashtabula County Medical Center with non-life-threatening injuries and she is expected to be OK, police said.

Siler is then accused of getting out of the vehicle and running from police. Police chased him into a wooded area where he was tased and arrested.

The entire chase lasted around 20 minutes, police said. Siler was convicted in 2018 on charges of escape and failure to comply with the order or signal of a police officer, court records state.

Recommended for you