For the Star Beacon
CONNEAUT TOWNSHIP, Pa. - - A Conneaut, Ohio, man was killed, and an Edinboro, Pa., man hospitalized, following a three-vehicle crash Tuesday morning at Route 6N and Route 226 in western Erie County, about three miles west of Albion.
Ronald E. Wiley, 34, of Conneaut, died after his eastbound automobile was struck head-on by Benjamin A. Swank, 19, of Edinboro, according to Pennsylvania State Police at Girard, Pa.
Swank, a standout on the General McLane High School basketball and football teams, was driving west on Route 6N behind a van hauling a horse trailer. His Swank's sport utility vehicle was being followed by another westbound truck, state police said.
Swank apparently attempted to turn left onto Route 226 but struck Wiley's auto at 10:34 a.m., police said.
Gareth A. Freeland, 21, of West Springfield, the driver of the westbound pickup truck following Swank's SUV, attempted to avoid the crash and left the road after sideswiping Swank's SUV, police said.
Wiley was pronounced dead at the scene by Sam Steff, deputy Erie County coroner. Wiley's death was ruled an accident, the result of multiple blunt-force trauma.
Swank was taken to Hamot Medical Center in Erie, where he was listed in serious condition Tuesday night.
Freeland wasn't injured in the crash.
Wiley, Swank and Freeland all were wearing seat belts, Pennsylvania State Police said.
Star Beacon Print Edition: 6/27/2007
This Week's Circulars
GENEVA [emdash] Madge Bevins, age 72 passed away on September 17, 2021 in Geneva. She was born June 28, 1949 in Pikeville, Ky. to Thomas and Margel (Thacker) Bevins. As a machine operator at Chagrin Plastics, Madge was pleased to work for Mr. Kohler, who was associated with the plumbing prod…
- Police find body of missing Ashtabula woman Death ruled a homicide and 3 people arrested
- New maps mean changes for Ashtabula County
- 74-year-old man killed when hit by train in Conneaut
- Mall owner pays tax money owed to county
- Man killed in Conneaut train accident
- Murder case set for preliminary hearing
- Mansfield man pleads guilty to sending threatening Facebook message to mother of Edgewood football player
- Missing woman's body found, 3 people in police custody
- Volpi's rape trial delayed again
- Ashtabula woman missing since last Wednesday