images_sizedimage_005074046

A GARAGE is destroyed in a blaze Wednesday night in Andover.

By STACY MILLBERG

Staff Writer

smillberg@starbeacon.com



ANDOVER - - A Wednesday night fire cause extensive damage to the garage and kitchen of a home and destroyed a vehicle.

Andover Volunteer Fire Department received a call at about 8:20 p.m. of a house explosion, which actually turned out to be a garage fire, said Bob Miller, Andover firefighter.

The garage caught fire with a sport utility vehicle inside, he said.

"This is a case where (the homeowner) saw smoke coming out and opened the door allowing oxygen in," he said. "The explosion they heard was more like the tires on the vehicle blowing."

The garage was attached to the home at 5011 Pymatuning Lake Road N., owned by Charles Daugherty.

When firefighters arrived on the scene, the garage was fully engulfed and fire spread to the kitchen. The fire caused extensive damage to the garage and kitchen, Miller said. The rest of the living quarters sustained heat, smoke and water damage. The SUV was a destroyed and two cars outside the garage were damaged as well, he said.

Miller did not have an estimate of damages. Family members were home at the time of the fire. Daugherty sustained minor burns on his leg. He was treated at the scene and refused transport, Miller said. A few other people were also treated at the scene by Pymatuning Ambulance, he said.

Pierpont Township Volunteer Fire Department and Holiday Camplands Fire Department from Ohio as well as North Shenango Township Volunteer Fire Department, Linesville Volunteer Fire Department and Class Ambulance from Pennsylvania, provided mutual aid to Andover. The last unit cleared the scene at about midnight, Miller said.

Star Beacon Print Edition: 1/5/2007

Click here to order our 1/5/2007 Archive edition.

Trending Video

Recommended for you