By STACY MILLBERG
ANDOVER - - A Wednesday night fire cause extensive damage to the garage and kitchen of a home and destroyed a vehicle.
Andover Volunteer Fire Department received a call at about 8:20 p.m. of a house explosion, which actually turned out to be a garage fire, said Bob Miller, Andover firefighter.
The garage caught fire with a sport utility vehicle inside, he said.
"This is a case where (the homeowner) saw smoke coming out and opened the door allowing oxygen in," he said. "The explosion they heard was more like the tires on the vehicle blowing."
The garage was attached to the home at 5011 Pymatuning Lake Road N., owned by Charles Daugherty.
When firefighters arrived on the scene, the garage was fully engulfed and fire spread to the kitchen. The fire caused extensive damage to the garage and kitchen, Miller said. The rest of the living quarters sustained heat, smoke and water damage. The SUV was a destroyed and two cars outside the garage were damaged as well, he said.
Miller did not have an estimate of damages. Family members were home at the time of the fire. Daugherty sustained minor burns on his leg. He was treated at the scene and refused transport, Miller said. A few other people were also treated at the scene by Pymatuning Ambulance, he said.
Pierpont Township Volunteer Fire Department and Holiday Camplands Fire Department from Ohio as well as North Shenango Township Volunteer Fire Department, Linesville Volunteer Fire Department and Class Ambulance from Pennsylvania, provided mutual aid to Andover. The last unit cleared the scene at about midnight, Miller said.
Star Beacon Print Edition: 1/5/2007
By STACY MILLBERG
This Week's Circulars
GENEVA [emdash] Madge Bevins, age 72 passed away on September 17, 2021 in Geneva. She was born June 28, 1949 in Pikeville, Ky. to Thomas and Margel (Thacker) Bevins. As a machine operator at Chagrin Plastics, Madge was pleased to work for Mr. Kohler, who was associated with the plumbing prod…
- Police find body of missing Ashtabula woman Death ruled a homicide and 3 people arrested
- Ashtabula woman missing since last Wednesday
- New maps mean changes for Ashtabula County
- 74-year-old man killed when hit by train in Conneaut
- Mall owner pays tax money owed to county
- Missing woman's body found, 3 people in police custody
- Man killed in Conneaut train accident
- Organizer: More than 60,000 attended Thunder on the Strip
- Murder case set for preliminary hearing
- Mansfield man pleads guilty to sending threatening Facebook message to mother of Edgewood football player