For many people summer is a time of family vacations and outdoor fun. But now it's back to school for area students as the first day of school fast approaches.
Refer to the list below to find a school district's start date. Orientations may happen before the official start date of classes so refer to the district's website to confirm.
Area schools will begin classes on the following dates:
• Ashtabula Area City Schools — Monday, Aug. 19.
• Conneaut Area City Schools — Monday, Aug. 26.
• Christian Faith Academy — Wednesday, Aug. 21.
• Geneva Area City Schools — Thursday, Aug. 22.
• Grand Valley Local Schools — Tuesday, Aug. 20.
• Jefferson Area Local Schools — Monday, Aug. 19.
• St. John School — Wednesday, Aug. 21.
Pymatuning Valley Local Schools started class Wednesday. The district was the first in the county to start classes as summer comes to a close.
Back-to-school dates in the United States vary by state and region, based on the Pew Research Center's analysis of a sampling of the nation's 13,000-plus public school districts.
For example, nearly all elementary and secondary school students in the East South Central region – a Census Bureau division that includes Alabama, Kentucky, Mississippi and Tennessee – returned to class this week. But the nine New England and Middle Atlantic states will not resume classes before Aug. 26, and many wait until after Labor Day.