MONROE TOWNSHIP — A township man died Thursday afternoon during a barn fire located at 6078 Root Road, said Ashtabula County Coroner’s Investigator Tom Dispenes and Monroe Township Fire Chief Jason Coy.

Dispenes said David Krenisky, 66, tried to save some of his possessions and was found on a bed in a living quarters he had created in the barn.

Coy said firefighters found a fully involved barn fire when they arrived at the scene. He said the call came in just after 4 p.m.

Dispenes said Krenisky was talking with a friend outside the barn when Krenisky noticed the barn was on fire.

“They were talking about old times,” Dispenes said .

Krenisky then called 911 and told dispatchers that everyone was out of the building.

“He went back in and tried to put the fire out with a fire extinguisher,” Dispenes said.

Krenisky was pronounced dead at 4:33 p.m. after firefighters put down the fire, Dispenes said. He said there would be no autopsy or toxicology tests.

“We did a carbon monoxide test,” Dispenes said. He said preliminary indications are that he died of smoke inhalation.

Coy and Krenisky indicated the Ohio State Fire Marshall’s Office was on the scene Thursday and Friday. Krenisky said a stove in the barn may have been the cause.

Coy said 18 to 20 firefighters from Monore, Kingsville, Sheffield, Plymouth and Pierpont townships fought the blaze. He said Monroe firefighters were on the scene until around 7 p.m. The fire is still under investigation.

 

Trending Video

Recommended for you