ORWELL — Village council approved a first-quarter budget on Monday during an organizational meeting at village hall.
Council approved a three-month budget of $140,137.75 for the first three months of the year. The first-quarter budget is one fourth of the 2020 total budget of $560,551.00, said Orwell Clerk/Treasurer Ella Stanton.
During the next several months, Stanton and Orwell Village Administrator Kevin Grippi will work out a full budget for the year with council reviewing it sometime in March, Stanton said.
In other business
• Council also approved the second Tuesday afternoon of every month for a 4:30 p.m. work session and the third Tuesday afternoon for a 4:30 p.m. regular meeting.
• Orwell is seeking new members for the planning and zoning board, zoning board of appeals and parks and recreation committee. Stanton, Grippi and David Hartz were chosen as the income tax review committee; Hartz, Grippi and Orwell Village Solicitor Chris Newcomb were appointed to the records retention review committee and Robert Denihan will serve as council liason to the Orwell Area Joint Recreational District.
• Orwell Village Police Chief Chad Fernandez was appointed street commission, Hartz will serve on the South Central Ambulance District Board and Shane Gregory was reappointed chief of the Orwell Fire Department.
• Hartz will serve as council president, winning by a 3-2 vote over Chris Ruks, Ruks will be vice president of council; Stanton will be privacy officer; Grippi assistant privacy officer; Hartz and Ruks will act as legislative authority to the firefighters dependant’s fund.
• Council also voted to create a committee to review potential changes in the village’s handbook. Committee members will be councilman Paul Byler, Stanton, Grippi and Gregory.