• A deputy was called to an oil well site on Montgomery Road, Rome Township, to investigate dumping of equipment related the manufacture of meth.

According to an Ashtabula County Sheriff’s Department report, a field supervisor for an energy company found the suspect material Feb. 15 on the ground near a gate to an oil well site. The deputy observed two plastic water bottles connected by plastic tubing; one bottle had a solid mixture in it. The equipment was neutralized by a trained deputy and the equipment disposed of. No other signs of meth activity were found near the scene.

• Electronics with a replacement value of more than $2,600 were reported stolen from a vehicle parked at the Spire Institute in Harpersfield Township.

According to a report, the vehicle owner, a 51-year-old Cortland resident, was at the institute Feb. 18 and thought he had locked the vehicle when he went inside the building. When he returned to the vehicle, the man discovered that his headphones, ear buds, digital still and video cameras, radar detector and  two iPods were missing.

• A 43-year-old Geneva Township woman admitted to cutting the strings on her former roommate’s Fender guitar and throwing it on the floor after she and the guitar’s owner, an 18-year-old woman, had an argument.

According to a report, the 18-year-old lived at a Harpersfield Township trailer park with two other women, who had “stopped getting along.” The 18-year-old moved out, and when she returned to retrieve her guitar, she discovered that it was damaged. The suspect initially denied causing the damage, but eventually came clean with the deputy and promised to pay to repair the instrument.

• A 41-year-old Ashtabula Township man reported to the department that he was scammed out of $190 by an unknown caller who claimed to have a check for him. The caller claimed that the check was for a computer warranty the man had paid for, but the township resident first would have to send $190 to the caller’s Western Union account. The victim told a deputy that he sent the money and checked with the warranty company the next day, only to learn he had been scammed.

Trending Video

Recommended for you