May is here! Hopefully April showers bring May flowers and lots of warmer and drier weather. Our recent drier weather has allowed some farmers to get out and start some tillage and fertilizer application. I know all of our farmers are pulling for a warm and dry May to get planting underway. …

It has been nice to have warmer temperatures around. We need continued warm weather and for the rain to stay away to help dry up our fields and allow our farmers to get in the fields. We need continued dry weather for our farmers to be able to plant more than 54,000 acres of corn and soybean…

I finally noticed the lawns and local wheat fields greening up this past weekend. This was a welcomed sight as it has been a really slow start to our spring here in Ashtabula County. We need a significant warming trend to allow our soils to dry up and for the soil temperatures to warm up in …

I am pleased to report the 65th annual Ashtabula County Dairy Banquet on March 21 at the Lenox Community Center was a great event with 100 persons in attendance. The participants were treated to a wonderful meal catered by “Up Scales Eats” and to a wide range of activities to celebrate a sup…

Probably more than most of us, dairy and livestock farmers have been waiting for spring. Warmer days of last week were welcome and more of them, even a bit warmer, would be appreciated. Dairy farms have to deal with a lot of problems because of the extreme cold we recently experienced.

Hello Ashtabula County! Finally a warm-up!! The temperatures this week have been a welcomed relief; especially for all of our maple syrup producers who are hoping for more normal March weather so the sap will begin to run. A nice part of our local economy is the hundreds of gallons of maple …

I think we are all looking forward to a warm-up. I think many of us would like to forget the coldest February on record for the past century. I was so desperate for a taste of spring this past weekend that I shoveled a path through the snow to be able to use the grill. It is time for winter …

Hello Ashtabula County! Boy was last weekend and this week cold! Brrrr! I saw on a Pymatuning Valley parent’s Facebook page that her daughter was using the time out of the sub-zero temperatures by working on scholarship applications for college. That is a great idea!

Boy was the first full week of February brutal with all the snow. While Punxsutawney Phil was busy predicting six more weeks of winter, we had more than 60 farmers brave the weather to attend the Northeast Ohio Agronomy School on Feb. 2.

Our grape growers are still recovering from the prolonged and extremely frigid temperatures experienced last winter during the infamous polar vortex. The polar vortex destroyed the majority of our popular wine grape crops grown in Northeast Ohio. Our growers will tell you that it will be yea…

In just a day, Punxsutawney Phil will jump out of his hole to let us know if spring is on its way or if winter will continue to trudge on. As we wait for the answer, it is not too early to think about spring.

Wow, January is zipping by. OSU Extension has been going full go by already offering six Farm Bill meetings across the region and the first of our four pesticide re-certification and fertilizer certification session of 2015 already this month.

With the passage of Ohio Senate Bill 150 in June, farmers who apply fertilizer to more than 50 acres of cropland each year are subject to a new certification requirement.

Happy New Year Ashtabula County! What a great victory by Ohio State against Alabama in the Sugar Bowl. Now it is Bucks versus Ducks Monday night. We at OSU Extension will be rooting for Ohio State to bring home the national championship! We also will be working to keep our local farmers at a…

As we begin 2015, I would like to pause and reflect on the major news stories of 2014. Some of the top stories included the Ebola epidemic, the disappearance of Malaysia Airlines Flight 370, racial and police tensions, the emergence of the Islamic State, midterm elections and the implementat…

The Agricultural Act of 2014 or better known as the 2014 Farm Bill contains several provisions that are important for farmers who are growing corn, soybeans and wheat in Ashtabula County.

First and foremost, you might want to consider your existing garden design. New plantings and replacements should be those that require the least work. In order of those requiring less maintenance, that would be trees,shrubs, perennials and annuals.

I hope each of you had a great Thanksgiving weekend. It is always good to get my fill of turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, pumpkin pie and succotash. We are only 31 days way from the end of the year. Now is a great time to gather those records and do some year-end tax planning!

This past week has looked and felt more like the week before Christmas not the week before Thanksgiving! I hope this is not a trend which continues as there is still a lot of corn that needs to be harvested by our farmers.

This fall has been a struggle for our local farmers. All of the rain has really saturated our soils and has stalled our harvest. We need a nice stretch of weather to allow harvest to be completed.

This Week's Circulars

Obituaries