The Star Beacon; Ashtabula, Ohio

April 29, 2014

Former Browns star Kosar pleads to lesser charge


CLEVELAND — Former NFL quarterback Bernie Kosar pleaded no contest Monday to a reckless operation charge after blaming knee and ankle surgeries for not performing a field sobriety test during a traffic stop last year.

Kosar had been charged with drunken-driving in September, but he entered a plea to the lesser charge and received a $750 fine and suspended jail sentence.

He was pulled over for speeding in suburban Cleveland, and officers said they smelled a strong odor of alcohol. Kosar told an officer he couldn’t perform the standard one-leg stand or walk and turn tests as he had undergone several surgeries on his knees and ankles because of his playing days.

Attorney George Simon says they’re pleased with how the case was resolved.

A police report said Kosar was driving 74 mph on a 50-mph limit street. According to the report, Kosar had slurred speech and difficulty speaking.