The Star Beacon; Ashtabula, Ohio

February 24, 2013

Outdoors Insider, with Dale Sunderlin: Buyers beware — to Utah or not to Utah?

For the Star Beacon

— Over the last week, I’ve received several emails and just as many telephone inquiries about some Utah Conceal Handgun Courses that are being held in and around the area.

People are wanting to know if they are legitimate and will they produce the reciprocity that they boast.

All I can say is buyers beware!

Here are the facts... you be the judge.


First, Conceal Handgun Permits in the State of Utah are regulated by the Bureau of Criminal Identification not the Attorney General as in the state of Ohio. If you have any questions or concerns about what you read hear please feel free to call them at (801) 965-4445, go on their web site or email them with your questions at

Fact I: The Law

You must have a current CHL (Conceal Handgun License) from the state you reside in order to apply for and attain a non-resident Utah CHL. In other words if you do not have a current and valid Ohio CHL you cannot get a Utah non-resident permit. I pulled this directly from the Utah State Legislative Law Library:

On May 11, 2011 Utah State Bill 36 amended 53-5-704 Concealed Firearm Act Subsection (4) to read:

n (4) (a) In addition to meeting the other qualifications for the issuance of a concealed firearm permit under this section, a nonresident applicant who resides in a state that recognizes the validity of the Utah permit or has reciprocity with Utah’s concealed firearm permit law shall:

n (i) hold a current concealed firearm or concealed weapon permit issued by the appropriate permitting authority of the nonresident applicant’s state of residency; and

n (ii) Submit a photocopy or electronic copy of the nonresident applicant’s current concealed firearm or concealed weapon permit referred to in Subsection (4)(a)(i).

n (b) A nonresident applicant who knowingly and willfully provides false information to the bureau under Subsection (4)(a) is prohibited from holding a Utah concealed firearm permit for a period of 10 years.

n (c) Subsection (4)(a) applies to all applications for the issuance of a concealed firearm permit that are received by the bureau after May 10, 2011.

n (d) Beginning January 1, 2012, Subsection (4)(a) also applies to an application for renewal of a concealed firearm permit by a nonresident.

So in plain English...

n You need a concealed weapon permit (CCW) or whatever your state calls a concealed permit from your state first before you can apply and receive a Utah CFP (Conceal Firearms Permit). So for example, if you are from Ohio you will need your Ohio CCW before you apply for the Utah Concealed Firearm Permit.

n You will need to submit a photocopy of your CCW Permit from your state with the Utah application. Your Concealed Firearm Instructor may also request to see it before stamping your application after attending the class.

n If your state does not have reciprocity or does not recognize Utah’s CFP, then you cannot get a Utah permit.

n Renewals for those of you who previously had a Non-Resident CFP before the law was enacted and did not have a permit from your own state, as of January 1, 2012 all non-resident renewal applications are now required to have your CCW from your home state first before renewing your Utah Concealed Firearm Permit.

n As Subsection 4(b) says, don’t try to get around this law or lie on your application because when discovered you will have to wait 10 years before you get another chance to hold a Utah CFP.

Fact II

Now since you need a CHL (Conceal Handgun Permit, the new politically correct wording adopted by the state of Ohio) from the state you reside in, Ohio, in order to attain a Utah permit why should you:

n Sit through a 4 hour class and learn the Utah Law (all certified Utah Conceal Firearm Permit classes are required by Utah Law to teach the Utah Conceal Firearms Permit law, not the Ohio law)

n Pay whatever the class fee is.  

n Pay the fees for a Utah permit and processing of it.

n When there’s a much simpler and less expensive way to gain reciprocity throughout the various states that Utah has and more.


Fact III

If you already have an Ohio Conceal Handgun Permit, then you simply apply for a non-resident permit from Florida. That’s right, Florida. Florida is reciprocal with Ohio, plus 34 other states, and recognizes the Ohio training and Certificates of Training documentation issued by Certified NRA Instructors. All you have to do if you have an Ohio CHL Permit is go to the state of Florida’s Division of Licensing, , request a fingerprint card, download, print and fill out the application, send it in with the appropriate fee and in a month or less you’ll receive your permit which is good for 7 years back in the mail.

No extra 4-hour class to sit through and no fees for the class. And...the cost of the Florida permit will allow you reciprocity with more states and last for 7 years.   

Fact IV

Let’s say you don’t have an Ohio CHL Permit. What are you to do? You can’t apply for a Utah permit so you might as well apply for an Ohio permit, especially since many state besides Utah are now requiring you to have one from the state you reside in before you can apply for a non-resident permit from their state. You can do this by taking a Certified NRA Course or a Certified OPTA Course.

Once you take the Ohio course, and get your Ohio permit, then you can then apply for the Florida non-resident permit. With this you will gain reciprocity with several other states. Ohio is reciprocal with 23 states so if you send for and get a Florida non-resident permit with 33 states, some are duplicates, you’ll end up with total of 37 states which is more than you would get, if, you could get a Utah non-resident permit.

Plus, you don’t have to take another class to get the Florida permit, just go through the process above in Fact III.


n Fact, you cannot get a Utah permit unless you have an Ohio permit, thus, you must take an Ohio CHL course with a Certified NRA or Certified OPTA Instructor.

n Question, after the above fact why would you want to sit through a 4-hour course and learn the law of another state, not the state you reside in, when you don’t have to.

n Question, why would you want to pay more money for the course and the permit fee than you have to when you can submit your application to Florida, save money and not have to sit through another 4 hour course to accomplish this.    


It’s up to you.

Licenses on sale

Ohio’s 2013-14 fishing, hunting and trapping licenses are now available for purchase, according to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR).

The 2013-14 licenses will be valid immediately upon purchase through Feb. 28, 2014. The 2012-13 licenses are valid through Feb. 28. White-tailed deer and fall wild turkey hunting permits will go on sale June 1.

New this year, the 2013-14 licenses include a transaction receipt and effective dates that match the fishing, hunting or trapping season.

Licenses and permits purchased online or at retail outlets are printed on plain white paper that is not waterproof. Licenses and permits will be printed along with additional information relevant to the license or permit purchased.

Licenses and permits can be purchased online at and at hundreds of agent outlets throughout the state. A complete list of participating license sales agents can be found at

Each license buyer must have a Social Security Number (SSN) recorded in the system. However, people who purchased licenses last year can now use their customer ID number in place of a SSN.

SSNs are required to purchase a recreational license, regardless of age, for the purpose of child support collection enforcement under Federal Statute 42. As a recreational license provider, the ODNR Division of Wildlife is obligated to comply with this law and cannot issue a license or permit without the SSN of the purchaser. A proper security system is in place to protect SSNs and any databases that contain them.

Youth instructor  

Ohio Division of Wildlife will host a free workshop where attendees will become certified Passport to Fishing instructors. The workshop is scheduled for Friday, March 15, 2013 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Wildlife District Three, 912 Portage Lakes Drive, Akron.

The workshop is free but pre-registration is required as seating is limited; call Ken Fry, Division of Wildlife at (330) 245-3030.  Participants will be required to participate in a background check.

By becoming certified instructors, attendees will help connect students with the outdoors. Resources available to instructors include grants, equipment, brochures, and training.

Passport to Fishing was developed by the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service and adopted by the Recreational Boating and Fishing Foundation.  Workshops teach volunteers the basics of fishing and how to run a four-station fishing program with a fishing event. These instructors then go back to their communities, with a written curriculum and training aids, to teach youngsters and beginning anglers the basics of fishing.


n Try It B4 You Buy It. Amboy Rifle Club will be hold a “Try It B4 You Buy It Event on March 23, 2013 from 10:00 am until 6:00 pm at their Clubhouse located at 100 Hawthorne Drive in Conneaut. Cost is $20 per participant and this will get you the following: Each participant will be allowed to shoot 5 rounds from 3 separate caliber handguns, 15 rounds total. The firing range will be under the supervision of a NRA Certified Range Safety Officer at all times. Snacks and hot food will be available in the kitchen for a nominal fee. No personal firearms will be allowed. Participants must be 21 years old, no exceptions.

The purpose of this event is to give prospective gun owners or gun owners who want another caliber or type of firearm a chance to, “Try it B4 You Buy It.” Each participant will be given the opportunity to shoot 3 separate caliber handguns. This is not a firearm-training course and no personal firearms will be allowed at this event. Women and new shooters are encouraged to attend. For more information, contact Dennis Woodard 440-645-9698 or Teresa Paone at 813-5648 or go to

n The Amboy Sharp Shooters 4H Club will be holding its annual registration on March 2 and March 23, 2013 at the Amboy Rifle Club from 9 a.m.-noon. This will be you opportunity to sign up for this years 4H Club featuring the discipline’s of Rifle and Archery. For more information, call 344-6208 or email  

n Lyme Disease Support Group Meeting. Lyme disease... what is it? How do you get it? How do you treat it? How do you prevent it? These questions will be discussed in an open to the public forum on Saturday, March 16, 2013 hosted by Lyme Bites, a Lyme Disease Support Group. This event will be held at Jefferson Health Care’s (Jefferson Geriatric) conference room, located 222 East Beech St. in  Jefferson.  

Please park in the back and enter through the Dialysis doors. The meeting is free of charge and open to the public. Medical personnel and support givers are encouraged to attend. Reservations are not required but appreciated. For more information, contact Janine Kirby at 858-2614.

n Jefferson Nazarene, wild game dinner, March 14, 2013. Call 576-6556 for more information.

Remember, pass it on or it will surely pass on.

Sunderlin is a freelance writer from Geneva. Reach him at