Paying a visit to the variety store...
Now-retired Star Beacon sports writer Chris Larick, who (thankfully) still makes contributions to these pages, passed along some information last night.
Chris is a member of the Ashtabula County Touchdown Club and the organization met Monday and then announced the guys who will make up the Ashtabula County Football Hall of Fame’s Class of 2013.
Members of the HOF class are:
- Ashtabula — Dennis Jepson and Patrick McNamara.
- Conneaut — Gregory Showalter and Scott Marcy.
- Edgewood — David Huey.
- Geneva — Rich Spangler and Tony Hassett.
- Grand Valley — David Nye.
- Harbor — Ed Jones and Marvin Kuula.
- Jefferson — Matthew Hatchette.
- Pymatuning Valley — David Dick.
- St. John — Don Rebera.
- Contributor — Ken Parise, former head coach at Pymatuning Valley and Conneaut.
The members of the Class of 2013 will be inducted at the annual Ashtabula County Touchdown Club dinner and awards banquet in December.
In the coming months, Larick will once again author his tremendous profiles on each of the men.
Word of mouth
The Dental Group of Jefferson and the Painesville Dental Group will once again provide free mouth guards to high school athletes from area schools Jefferson, Perry and Riverside.
The organizations will make custom, fitted mouthguards at no charge and do so in school colors. The mouthguards will come with a case and a strap.
Also, a doctor will do a visual exam of the mouth and teeth of each athlete. Impressions of the mouth will be taken and the mouth guard appliance should be prepared in about a week and be delivered to the school and the coaches will disperse them.
The dates for the three area schools are:
- July 9 — Perry, at the Painesville East office (call 354-2183).
- July 17 — Riverside, at the Painesville East office.
- July 23 — Jefferson, at the Jefferson office (call 576-7040).
Anyone with questions or wanting more information can contact assistant group manager Jennifer Hanus at 728-0236.