For the many high school football fans who follow this space out there in Loyal Readerland, today is one of the days you’ve been waiting for.
The first full weekend of scrimmages for the 10 teams in the Star Beacon coverage area.
Three area teams will be in action today, in fact, starting with first-year coach Frank Hall leading his Lakeside Dragons against visiting Akron Coventry at 10 a.m. at beautiful Lakeside Stadium.
At the same time in Painesville Township, coach Dave Bors’ Riverside Beavers will welcome John Hay to Riverside Stadium.
And the nightcap on today’s trifecta will have coach Rocco Dobran’s Conneaut Spartans being invaded by Mathews at 6 p.m. at Conneaut Stadium.
Below, you will find the entire slate for the weekend, though please remember, this information came from the respective schools, so if there is a snafu, don’t blame your favorite(?) writer!
- Akron Coventry at Lakeside (10 a.m.).
- John Hay at Riverside (10 a.m.).
- Mathews at Conneaut (6 p.m.).
- Grand Valley and Jefferson at Geneva (Spire Stadium, 9 a.m.).
- Edgewood at Liberty (10 a.m.).
- Pymatuning Valley at Newton Falls (10 a.m.).
- Kirtland at Perry (10 a.m.).
- Mayfield at Madison (10 a.m.).
Looking a bit ahead, here are the choices on the menu for next week:
Thursday, Aug. 22
- Lake Catholic at Madison (7 p.m.).
Friday, Aug. 23
- Collinwood at Lakeside (5 p.m.).
- Cardinal at Geneva (5 p.m.).
- Riverside at Brecksville (5 p.m.).
- Olmsted Falls at Perry (5:30 p.m.).
- Grand Valley at Edgewood (6 p.m.).
- Western Reserve at Pymatuning Valley (6:30 p.m.).
- Fairport and Ledgemont at Jefferson (7 p.m.).
- Conneaut at Harvey (time TBA).
McCormack is the sports editor of the Star Beacon. Reach him at email@example.com.