The Star Beacon; Ashtabula, Ohio

December 27, 2012

Theft, domestic violence mar holiday

Star Beacon

JEFFERSON —  A Rock Creek man ditched his mother’s vehicle and walked the rest of the way to his girlfriend’s house on Christmas Day so he could kiss her before he went back to jail.

According to a report from the Ashtabula County Sheriff’s Department, the 34-year-old male assaulted his 59-year-old father and 61-year-old mother earlier in the day at their residence in Rock Creek. The suspect hit/pushed his parents, broke a telephone and grabbed his mother by the throat and threw her to the ground. The father sprayed his son with a dry fire extinguisher to prevent the son from further assaulting him.

The son, who does not have a drivers license, then took the keys to a vehicle belonging to his mother and left at a high rate of speed, according to the report. The vehicle was found in a ditch by law enforcement.

He was later located at his girlfriend’s house in Harpersfield Township, where he went to give her a kiss because “I knew I was going back to prison,” the man told a deputy. The subject had recently been released from serving a seven-year sentence for domestic violence, according to the report.

He faces charges of repeat-offender domestic violence and unauthorized use of a vehicle. The deputy noted a strong smell of alcohol on the subject’s breath.

Also on Christmas Day, a 43-year-old Williamsfield woman was assaulted by her partner, a 49-year-old also of Williamsfield.

 According to a report, the suspect, who had been drinking, initiated the altercation by throwing a box at the victim, then grabbing her around the throat and breaking her necklace. According to the victim’s report, the suspect held her by her hair as she dialed 9-1-1. The suspect picked up a garden pick/hoe and threatened to cut off the victim's head and that of her daughter. The victim said her friend threw the tool at her, but it did not hit her.

 The suspect resisted arrest and refused to stand once she was handcuffed. The deputy had to use a pain compliance measure to get her to stand up and walk to the cruiser. Once in the cruiser, she refused to pull her right leg into the vehicle and the deputy threatened use of his TASER in order to force compliance.

 The woman was taken to the county jail and faces a domestic violence charge.