The Star Beacon; Ashtabula, Ohio

Local News

September 17, 2013

ODOT project bringing new traffic signals to Ashtabula

ASHTABULA —  Come spring, the Ohio Department of Transportation will be replacing old, outdated traffic signals with new lights, City Manager Jim Timonere said.

ODOT will pay for 80 percent of the project, estimated to cost nearly $1 million, he said at Monday’s City Council meeting. The city will pay the remaining 20 percent, or about $193,000, he said.

“This is a local let ODOT project and once bid, the project costs will be taken from the permanent improvement fund,” Timonere said. “The project is scheduled to sell in spring of 2014.”

The new traffic lights will go up in 10 to 12 intersections, he said, noting he will provide a list of the intersections as soon as possible.

In other business:

n Construction crews soon will be working on a new Dollar General store on West Prospect Road across from Benefit Avenue;

n City Council approved an ordinance authorizing the city manager to enter into a contract with Insight Pipe Contracting to provide services and materials for the West Harbor Sanitary Sewer Improvement Project. Insight submitted the lowest bid at $311,480;

n City Council authorized the city manager to buy a replacement digital scale for the transfer station from Brechbuhler Scales of Thompson. Timonere decided a digital display visible to people entering the scale area was a necessary addition at the transfer station. The new scale cost $525 more than one without the digital display, bringing total to $48,310, and

n Trick or treat for the city has changed this year. The new date and time is 5 to 7 p.m. Nov. 2.

1
Text Only
Local News
Ashtabula County Alive
July 4 Celebrations 2014
Summer off to Big Start
Ashtabula County Flag Day 2014
Northeast Ohio Soap Box Derby 2014
Tour de State Line and Boating Season
Ashtabula County Memorial Day 2014
Sam Magill Sr. Memorial
Armed Forces Echo Taps 2014
Lakeside Loop Color Run
Keeping Ashtabula County Clean and Healthy
Canoe Race and Ashtabula Easter Events
The Taping of the Teacher: A sticky Sitation
18th Annual Polar Bear Plunge at Geneva State Park
House Ads
AP Video
NDN Video
LeBron James -- Dropped $2k On Cupcake Apology ... Proceeds To Benefit Charity Snoop Dogg Says He Smoked Weed at the White House Raw: Fight Breaks Out in Ukraine Parliament Chris Pratt Interrupts Interview To French Braid Intern's Hair Shirtless Super Mario Balotelli Dances While Ironing - @TheBuzzeronFOX Whoa! Watch "Housewives" Star Do the Unthinkable LeBron apologizes to neighbors with cupcakes Justin Bieber In Calvin Klein Underwear Shoot Samsung Pre-Trolls The IPhone 6 With New Ad Jimmy Kimmel Introduces His Baby Girl Swim Daily, Nina Agdal in the Cook Islands Guilty Dog Apologizes to Baby for Stealing Her Toy Prince George Turns 1 and is Already a Trendsetter Train Collides With Semi Truck Carrying Lighter Fluid Kanye West Tells-All on Wedding in "GQ" Interview Tony Dungy Weighs in on Michael Sam Scarlett Johansson Set To Marry In August New Star Wars Episode XII X-Wing Revealed Obama: Putin must push separatists to aid MH17 probe Michigan inmates no longer allowed to wear orange due to 'OITNB'