The Star Beacon; Ashtabula, Ohio

September 14, 2013

Lawsuit settled over Chardon school shooting fund


Associated Press

CHARDON — A legal fight over a fund created to help the families of three students killed in a school shooting rampage last year was settled Friday and the payment amounts remained undisclosed as part of the agreement.

Besides payments to the families, “the balance of the fund will be used to address ongoing physical and emotional needs of others in the Chardon community impacted by the shooting,” a settlement announcement said.

Sixteen-year-old Daniel Parmertor, 16-year-old Demetrius Hewlin and 17-year-old Russell King Jr. were killed Feb. 27, 2012, at Chardon High School east of Cleveland. The teenager convicted in the shooting, T.J. Lane, is serving a life sentence.

After the shooting, more than $950,000 was donated to the Chardon Healing Fund. In May, family members sued, some among them saying they were cut off from the assistance while still grieving and in need.

According to testimony in the case, the fund board paid the three families living expenses for a year and gave monthly $200 gift cards to each family member, plus extra holiday money.

Parmertor’s mother, Dina Parmertor, said the board cut off the contributions without talking with her family, forcing her to return to her nursing job before she was ready. King’s mother, Jeannie King, said she was told to seek public assistance when she asked for help paying for health insurance because she could not return to work.

Jenniffer Deckard, board chair, and other fund witnesses said the families were told after payments stopped that they could still ask for money if needed. She said the board did not deny any requests from any of the families and was not asked for additional money.