The Star Beacon; Ashtabula, Ohio

May 22, 2013

Conneaut man accused of using duct tape to secure girlfriend

Todd Dickson faces unlawful restraint and domestic violence charges

Star Beacon

CONNEAUT — A Conneaut man face charges after he reportedly used duct tape to lash his combative girlfriend to a pole in the basement of their Sandusky Street home, police said.

Todd Dickson, 43, 290 Sandusky St., has been charged with unlawful restraint and domestic violence in the incident, which reportedly occurred Thursday night, but wasn’t reported to police until Sunday evening, officers said. Dickson, free on bond, has pleaded not guilty to the misdemeanor charges and will return to Conneaut Municipal Court at 10 a.m. June 10. He will represented by a public defender, a court spokeswoman said Tuesday.

The girlfriend, identified as Lindsy Crawford, 34, same address, has been charged with domestic violence and will be in court Tuesday, a court spokeswoman said.

Crawford told police she came home intoxicated Thursday and began arguing with Dickson. When the confrontation became a screaming match, Crawford told officers said she was thrown to the floor by Dickson. She tried to escape by crawling on her elbows, but was taken to the basement and “duct-taped to a pole,”  according to a report.

Crawford told police she was held against her will and suffered injuries. While interviewing Crawford, police said they noticed day-old scabs on her elbows and legs. Crawford told officers Dickson informed her she was taped because she attacked him. Asked if that was true, Crawford told police “I don’t really know. I was intoxicated,” according to a report.

Dickson told police Crawford came home drunk and the pair argued. She then head-butted him and then tried to gouge his eyes, he told officers. Dickson said he acted in self-defense when he grabbed a nearby roll of the heavy-duty tape and wrapped the woman’s arms and body in an attempt to subdue her, according to a police report.

Police, contacted about the incident around 9 p.m. Sunday, interviewed Crawford at a Madison Street address. Dickson was found at the Sandusky Street address.

It is not immediately clear how long Crawford was confined to the basement, said Police Chief Charles Burlingham. Police are also trying to find out how Crawford was released from the tape, he said.