The Star Beacon; Ashtabula, Ohio

February 21, 2013

Two escape mobile home fire without injury in Conneaut

By MARK TODD - mtodd@starbeacon.com
Star Beacon

CONNEAUT — A smoke detector helped two people safely escape a fire at their West Main Road mobile home early Wednesday morning, said Conneaut Fire Chief Steve Lee.

Firefighters from stations 1 and 3 were dispatched to the Mobile Grove mobile home park, 202 W. Main Road, Lot 35, around 1:43 a.m., Lee said. Upon arrival, firefighters saw light smoke curling from the home, he said.

Cause of the fire was defective heat tape, wrapped around pipes to keep them from freezing, Lee said. The tape was defective and began arcing, starting a fire beneath the mobile home near the bathroom/kitchen area, he said.

Firefighters were at the scene for two hours, Lee said. Damage to the mobile home was estimated around $8,000, with another $2,000 damage to contents, Lee said.

Wednesday morning’s extreme weather — strong winds, snow and sub-freezing temperatures — weren’t a factor in fighting the fire, Lee said.

The Mobile Grove fire was the second in four days where occupants were saved by a smoke detector. On Sunday morning, four people in a Sandusky Street duplex were alerted to a second-floor bedroom fire by a smoke alarm, firefighters said.