The Star Beacon; Ashtabula, Ohio

February 4, 2014

Two suspects in custody, authorities say

One man still at-large in triple shooting

Staff Writer

— A man sought in connection with last week’s shooting of three people inside an Ashtabula duplex has been arrested, authorities said.

Lewis Arnold, 24, was found in Ashtabula and taken into custody early Monday afternoon, according to a statement from the Northern Ohio Violent Fugitive Task Force. Still at large is Marcus Lashley, 21, who is believed to be hiding in the Cleveland area, officials said.

Arnold and Lashley were the subjects of an intensive manhunt, according to the NOVFTF, which operates under the auspices of the U.S. Marshal’s office.

The pair were wanted in connection with the shooting deaths of Lydia Aviles Mook-Colon, 43, and her son, Xavier Mook-Colon, 20, on Jan. 27. Another son, 23, remains in critical condition, according to the statement. All three were shot in the kitchen of their duplex at 2106 Norman Ave., authorities have said. Xavier was pronounced dead at the scene, while his mother died hours later while undergoing surgery at MetroHealth Medical Center in Cleveland.

A third individual is also in custody on “unrelated matters,” but remains a “person of interest” regarding the shootings, Ashtabula Police Chief Robert Stell said late Monday afternoon. He identified the man as Taquan Mathers, who was among a handful of people rounded up late Thursday.

Mathers was implicated in the September 2013 shooting of a Youngstown man in Ashtabula, but charges were eventually dismissed when the Ashtabula County grand jury chose not to indict.

According to the NOVFTF, a third person entered the duplex along with Lashley and Arnold, and all three fled to a waiting vehicle after the crime was committed. Ashtabula police are investigating whether two or three individuals entered the duplex, Stell said.

“At least three people were involved,” Stell said. “There may be others.”

Police have said two men, each armed with a handgun, entered the house.

The NOVFTF statement describes the crime as a “botched robbery.” Police are still trying to pin down the motive, Stell has said.

Ashtabula police and task force members caught up with Arnold around 1:15 p.m. Monday at a Woodman Avenue apartment, according to Pete Elliott, U.S. Marshal for the Northern District of Ohio.

“(Arnold) was apprehended without incident,” Elliott said. “There were no issues.”

Charges against Arnold are pending, Stell said. “Charges are possibly forthcoming,” he said.

Lashley is 6 feet tall and weighs around 190 pounds, with black hair and brown eyes, according to the NOVFTF statement. Believed to be in Cleveland, Lashley has also lived in Cleveland Heights, officials said.

“We will catch him,” Elliott said.

People with information are asked to contact NOVFTF at 1-866-4WANTED.

Arnold, last known to have a Cleveland address, appeared in Ashtabula Municipal Court on Friday and was bound over to the county grand jury on charges of possession of drugs, tampering with evidence and falsification, according to court records. A $30,000 personal recognizance bond was set on the charges, a court spokeswoman said.