The Star Beacon; Ashtabula, Ohio

February 24, 2013

Madison Township family escapes house fire

By WARREN DILLAWAY - warren@starbeacon.com
Star Beacon

MADISON TOWNSHIP — Firefighters were on the scene of a Deermont Avenue house fire for more than two hours Saturday afternoon after an electrical fire severely damaged the home’s attic.

“We got the call at 11:59 a.m.,” said Madison Fire District Chief Gene Lutz. He said smoke was showing from the attic of 1483 Deermont Ave.

“They had the initial line to the front door and made their way up to the second floor,” Lutz said. He said firefighters then had to break through some drywall to get to the fire in the attic.

“We used Geneva’s ladder (truck) to open up the roof a little,” Lutz said. He said the fire was under control in 24 minutes.

He said mutual aid assistance came from Perry and Thompson as well as Geneva.

“This (the cause of the fire) is going to be electrical in nature,” Lutz said. He said the damage was mostly in the attic and roof area and estimated the monetary damage to be about $14,000.

Lutz said he believes three people were living in the house. “We did call Red Cross to come and give them a hand,” he said.

The residents were out of the home when firefighters arrived, Lutz said. “There was a young lady getting ready to go somewhere and she smelled smoke,” he said.

“They called 911 and got out,” Lutz said. He said firefighters cleared the scene around 2:16 p.m.

Family and friends descended on the home to help the victims.