SAYBROOK TOWNSHIP —
A St. John School is celebrating its 60th anniversary.
St. John High School opened its doors in 1953 as a complement to the elementary Catholic school grade schools that had been in existence since the mid 1850’s.
The consolidation of the grade schools and Saint John High School took place in 1991.
Saint John School has seen an increase of 14 percent in enrollment for the beginning of the 2013-2014 school year. This continues the growth of 2012-13, which had a 12 percent increase. The move to 7911 Depot Road has made the school more accessible to all parts of Ashtabula County, as well as eastern Lake County and northern Geauga County.
The school welcomes seven new staff members: Keith Corlew, director of enrollment management and marketing; Nick Iarocci, athletic director; Maria Crookston, theology department; Erin Adame, Spanish department; Mark Saylor, English department; Kathleen Novak, intervention specialist, and Vicki Ruscitto, intervention specialist.
Additional Improvements continue to be made at the school, including the addition of a kiln to the art department, the installation of stage curtains, and the creation of a band room. These improvements were partially funded through the Ashtabula Foundation. The school also purchased land to the north of the school and is process of clearing the land to allow for a driveway entrance off Route 20.