Local artists have a patron in the Conneaut Arts Center, which routinely finds and features interesting work by local talent.
Exhibits are a regular feature at the CAC, 1025 Buffalo St. Each month brings a new display, including some traditional favorites, said Penny Armeni, executive director.
“In March, we have the student show, an open exhibit in July and a photo show in September,” she said. “Every other year we have a fiber art exhibit.”
During the other months, the center’s gallery is filled with art showcasing a wide range media, Armeni said. In some cases, artists ask for exhibit space, in others Armeni and the CAC board offer the facility to an interesting and developing talent, she said.
“Sometimes we hear about someone and try to seek them out,” Armeni said.
This month the center is hosting an all-medium exhibit, “Seasons of the North Coast.” Entries in a special sub-category, “Weather the Storm,” were judged by Armeni earlier this month. Winners so far include JoAnn Davey of Conneaut, who won Best of Show with “Summer Lunch at the White Turkey Drive-In,” a pen, ink and color pencil interpretation of the city’s iconic roadside restaurant. Bill Dalton of Conneaut won a special award for “Oh Canada!”, his acrylic painting of threatening skies at the city’s lakefront.
Still to come is the show’s People’s Choice Award, which will be announced at the end of the month.
All exhibits are open to the public during regular business hours and during special events.
The art center’s 23rd Summer Concert Series is under way at the Newcomb Performing Terrace next to Kilpi Hall. All shows, co-sponsored by Gazette Publications, are free and refreshment are available.
Bring a lawn chair or blanket and listen to:
• July 21 — Guys Without Ties (7 p.m., sponsored by George Jackson in memory of Mary Adams)
• July 28 — Red Dust Mountain Boys (7 p.m., Good Shepherd Lutheran Church)
• Aug. 4 — Reckless All-Stars (6:30 p.m., Conneaut Savings Bank/Gerdes Pharmacy)
• Aug 11 — The Kingpins (6:30 p.m., CVS Pharmacy and Cristal)
• Aug. 16 — Don DiSantis Band (6 p.m., Villa at the Lake, Conneaut Board of Tourism, Port Conneaut Federal Credit Union, attorney Luke Gallagher).