The Star Beacon; Ashtabula, Ohio

January 13, 2013

Kingsville Township garage, contents destroyed by fire

By WARREN DILLAWAY - warren@starbeacon.com
Star Beacon

KINGSVILLE TOWNSHIP — A garage was destroyed by fire Friday night, but the home was saved, said Kingsville Fire Department Chief Neil Stewart.

“When we got there it was a fully involved garage fire,” Stewart said of the blaze called in at 6:20 p.m. He said firefighters were able to keep the blaze from the house.

“There was absolutely no fire damage to the house. Just a little bit of smoke damage,” he said. Stewart said William Sherburne and his family were able to sleep in the house Friday night.

“It (the garage) was a total loss. It went all the way to the ground,” Stewart said. He said the estimated cost of the garage was about $10,000 plus the contents which included several motorcycles and woodworking equipment.

“He did get one motorcycle out before it went completely out of control,” Stewart said.

He said the Sherburne family had started a woodburning stove and went inside. “When they came back out the back wall was on fire and they called 911,” he said.

Stewart said nobody was hurt during the fire or the clean-up.

He said Kingsville firefighters received mutual aid from Sheffield and Monroe fire departments. Stewart said the fire occurred south of Interstate 90 so there are no fire hydrants.

He said Sheffield and Monroe fire departments brought manpower and tanker trucks to provide water to fight the fire.

Stewart said firefighters were on the scene until 8:44 p.m. making sure the debris was properly sifted so it would not rekindle.