The Star Beacon; Ashtabula, Ohio

Local News

January 13, 2013

Kingsville Township garage, contents destroyed by fire

KINGSVILLE TOWNSHIP — A garage was destroyed by fire Friday night, but the home was saved, said Kingsville Fire Department Chief Neil Stewart.

“When we got there it was a fully involved garage fire,” Stewart said of the blaze called in at 6:20 p.m. He said firefighters were able to keep the blaze from the house.

“There was absolutely no fire damage to the house. Just a little bit of smoke damage,” he said. Stewart said William Sherburne and his family were able to sleep in the house Friday night.

“It (the garage) was a total loss. It went all the way to the ground,” Stewart said. He said the estimated cost of the garage was about $10,000 plus the contents which included several motorcycles and woodworking equipment.

“He did get one motorcycle out before it went completely out of control,” Stewart said.

He said the Sherburne family had started a woodburning stove and went inside. “When they came back out the back wall was on fire and they called 911,” he said.

Stewart said nobody was hurt during the fire or the clean-up.

He said Kingsville firefighters received mutual aid from Sheffield and Monroe fire departments. Stewart said the fire occurred south of Interstate 90 so there are no fire hydrants.

He said Sheffield and Monroe fire departments brought manpower and tanker trucks to provide water to fight the fire.

Stewart said firefighters were on the scene until 8:44 p.m. making sure the debris was properly sifted so it would not rekindle.

1
Text Only
Local News
Canoe Race and Ashtabula Easter Events
Good Friday Cross Walks and Easter Egg Hunts
Spring Comes Alive
Ashtabula Spring Cleaning
The Taping of the Teacher: A sticky Sitation
Saturday Fun in Ashtabula County March 22, 2014
American Red Cross Ashtabula County Heroes Breakfast
Rotary Club Dodge Ball Tournament
18th Annual Polar Bear Plunge at Geneva State Park
End of year weather extremes
Christmas 2013
Harpersfield Barn Fire
Route 11 Rescue Plymouth Township
Ashtabula Fire
House Ads
AP Video
NDN Video
Grumpy Cat Not Impressed at "Idol" Is Shaquille O'Neal the World's Best Ex-Athlete? Raw: Obama Plays Soccer With Japanese Robot Behind The Tanlines Jersey Strong Part 2 BASE Jumpers Set World Record Screaming 2-year-old gets psyched at Penguins game Pineda: Put pine tar because he didn't want to hit anyone Beyonce on Her Biggest Influence Michael Strahan's First Day on "GMA" Clerk catches on fire after man throws Molotov Cocktail into Brooklyn store Amazon's Deal With HBO Leapfrogs Streaming Rivals Stephen Colbert Tells David Letterman His Plan for 'Late Show' Georgetown police officer filmed tripping students Viral: It's Not Pitbull - It's Amy Poehler! Recycling Highlights for Earth Day Lupita Nyong'o Named People's 'Most Beautiful' Peeps Launched into Outer Space NYPD's Twitter Request For Photos Backfires New HBO Go Commercials Capture Awkward Family TV Watching Raw: Leopard Bites Man in India