Large-scale disasters can strike anywhere and anytime. The American Red Cross in partnership with Dominion East Ohio will hold a Preparedness Day from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on April 13 at select premier malls and other locations throughout the Northeast Ohio region. The goal is to teach participants the importance to "Be Red Cross Ready," in the event of an unforeseeable disaster.
"We are pleased that this partnership with Dominion East Ohio will allow residents of Ashtabula County to receive this vital planning information" said Renee Palagyi, Ashtabula County Red Cross Executive Director. "Several months ago, the Ashtabula Towne Square agreed to be the site for our county and we look forward to being there to not only provide this critical information, but, hopefully, recruit new Red Cross volunteers." Throughout the day, participants will be given the opportunity to take a pre-test and post-test to determine their safety/preparedness knowledge. The five minute test and follow-up will be completed by trained Red Cross and Dominion volunteers.
For those who take both parts of the test, they will receive a "safety back pack" sponsored by Dominion East Ohio. The back pack will be filled with safety supplies such as; emergency blanket, glow sticks, first aid kit, emergency drinking water, face mask, gloves and other useful information in case of an emergency.
To be involved in the Safety Preparedness Day, please visit the site nearest you:
• Ashtabula Towne Square — 3315 N. Ridge Rd E. Ashtabula, Ohio 44004
• Westfield Great Northern Mall — 4954 Great Northern Blvd., North Olmsted, Ohio 44070
• Eastwood Mall/Niles — 5555 Youngstown-Warren Rd., Niles, Ohio 4446
• Westfield Belden Village/ Canton — 4230 Belden Village St. NW, Canton, Ohio 44718
• New Towne Mali/NewPhiiadelphia — 400 Mill Ave. SE,Suite C8, New Philadelphia, OH 44663
• Buehlers-Milltown — 3540 Burbank Rd. Wooster, Ohio 44691
• Summit Mall/Akron — 3265 W. Market Street., Fairlawn, Ohio 44333
For more information on disaster and emergency preparedness, please call Ashtabula County Chapter at 998-1020 or go to: www.redcross/prepare.