By MARK TODD
Changes to sewer lines ahead of a six-figure lakefront project could spell the end of the spate of flooded basements that plagued many north Conneaut neighborhoods earlier this summer.
City Manager Tim Eggleston this week said city crews recently made some adjustments to pipes in the area of Mill and Sandusky streets and Park Avenue that should relieve the problem. Workers blocked a crossover section in the area of Mill and also installed a secondary overflow pipe between a 10-inch sanitary line on Sandusky and Park and the 24-inch trunk line. The tweaking resulted from research done by municipal department heads and CT Consultants, the city’s engineering firm, Eggleston said.
That work, along with a pending overhaul of pipe near the city sewage treatment plant, should go a long way to curbing the flooding problem that hit a lot of households in early July. Torrential rain infiltrated the city’s sanitary pipes, creating backflows that overwhelmed the system. Several residents told City Council they suffered property damage as a result.
Ahead is the big-ticket makeover of sanitary and storm sewers on Harbor Street between Park Avenue and the lakefront treatment plant. That project, many months in the making will yank out two main lines — 18- and 24- inch, respectively — and replace them with a 30-inch line that will provide more room for flow.
The Harbor Street should be bid sometime in September, with construction to follow in the fall, Eggleston said Thursday. The section of Harbor Street ripped up by the work will be paved next spring, he said. Estimated cost of the project is around $620,000, officials have said.
Will all these upgrades make a difference when rainstorms return?
“I hope so,” Eggleston said. “I feel (the improvements) will take care of the additional flow.”