The Star Beacon; Ashtabula, Ohio

July 2, 2013

Fire again injures Conneaut woman

By MARK TODD - mtodd@starbeacon.com
Staff Writer

CONNEAUT — For the second time in five months, a Sandusky Street woman was injured in a fire at her Sandusky Street residence, firefighters said.

Pat Rarey, 321 Sandusky St., suffered second-degree burns to her hands in a fire that occurred early Friday morning, said Assistant Fire Chief Steve Sanford. She sought treatment on her own at UH Conneaut Medical Center, he said.

A faulty electric fan is the probable cause of the blaze, which began in a second-floor bedroom, Sanford said. Fire damage was confined to the room, he said. Flames caused an estimated $10,000 damage to the building and contents.

Firefighters were dispatched around 3:25 a.m. to the address, which was occupied at the time by four people, Sanford said.

In February, Rarey was one of two people who suffered burns and smoke inhalation in a fire at the same location, firefighters said at the time. That fire was caused by “smoking materials,” according to a fire report.

Francis Wick was listed as the property’s owner, firefighters said.