The Star Beacon; Ashtabula, Ohio

February 14, 2014

Bail set at $1 million for final suspect in Ashtabula fatal shooting

Star Beacon

ASHTABULA — A Cleveland man suspected in a Norman Avenue shooting that killed two people was arraigned on murder charges Thursday in Municipal Court.

Marcus Lashley Jr., 21, was transported from the Cuyahoga County jail to the Ashtabula Justice Center Thursday morning after U.S. Marshals arrested him Tuesday in East Cleveland following a brief standoff.

Lashley was charged with two counts of murder and one count of felonious assault, according to a Municipal Court official.

He said he was indigent and asked for a court-appointed attorney.

His bond was set at $1 million cash or surety or property. If he makes bail, he must submit to electronic monitoring, according to a court official.

Lashley, who is a member of the Heartless Felons gang, was the subject of an intensive manhunt, said Pete J. Elliott, U.S. Marshal for the Northern District of Ohio.

With Lashley in custody, authorities believe they have all suspects involved in the Jan. 27 double-homicide at 2106 Norman Ave. in the Ashtabula harbor. It was there that Ashtabula police found Lydia Aviles, 43, and her two sons, Alexis and Benny Colon-Mook, 20, and 23, shot inside the duplex.

The coroner pronounced Alexis dead at the scene. Lydia Aviles died of a single gunshot wound later that day at the hospital, while Benny remains hospitalized in Cleveland.

After the  shooting, police say masked suspects fled on foot and into a waiting vehicle. Authorities have said the crime was a terrible mistake — the robbers entered the wrong duplex. The victims had no involvement in any criminal activity, City Solicitor Michael Franklin has said.

Lewis Arnold, 24, of Cleveland, who was arrested Feb. 3 in Ashtabula, has been charged with complicity in aggravated robbery, a first-degree felony, according to court records.

He’s also being held at the Justice Center. On Wednesday, he asked Municipal Judge  Albert Camplese to continue his preliminary hearing until next week so he can talk with his attorney.

Also in police custody is a 19-year-old woman, who is believed to be connected to the Heartless Felons and to have been behind the wheel of the getaway vehicle. A third man, with a yet-unrevealed role in the crime, is being held on unrelated weapons charges.