By STACY MILLBERG - firstname.lastname@example.org
The 1800s will come alive this weekend as the Jefferson Depot Village hosts its 9th Annual Early America LIVE! event.
The 1890s reenactment festival will take place Saturday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sunday from noon to 5 p.m. at the historic 19th century village located at 147 E. Jefferson St.
Costumed kinfolk will recreate the period as guests peek into the past in each restored building on the grounds.
This year’s activities include candle-making, dying and spinning wool, pottery, art, basketry, tussie-mussies, a fashion show, make and take crafts, a hat show, bandstand entertainment and an 1890s food menu.
The pastor will arrive on horseback on Saturday at 11 a.m. Patrons of the festival can also attend an 1890 school class in the 1838 Spafford One-Room Schoolhouse, with its separate doors for girls and boys, listen to a pump-organ concert, hear story-telling, tour the herb garden and participate in a variety of contests and games.
This year, a special dedication will be held of the Jonathan Warner Tavern on Saturday.
The building is a replica of the tavern, which was originally built in 1816. Warner was the second resident to come to Jefferson. He also served as mayor and later a judge.
“He was a very prominent person here,” said Jean Dutton, depot committee president. “We had a replica of his original sign made for the tavern.”
The bandwagon will be filled with a Dixieland band during the event and State Rep. John Patterson, D-Jefferson, will attend the dedication.
The dedication is at 1:30 p.m. and the Dixieland band will perform at 2 p.m.
Visitors to the village can stroll through the 1872 Lake Shore Michigan Southern Railroad Station and visit the 1848 “Church in the Wildwood,” which was the first Methodist Episcopal meeting house. The 1849 Church Barn was built for the circuit-rider minister. Hohn’s General Store is filled with its original fixtures and merchandise and the 1860 Pharmacy features the Jackson Drug Store collection, herbal remedies and a medicinal herb garden behind it.
Folks can also take a look at the 1888 Victorian House and the 1845 Sheffield Post Office.
Restoration is under way on the Benetka Blacksmith Shop, the 1918 Caboose and the Girls’ Outhouse. Festival guests can also get a first glimpse at the newest addition to the village, the 1870s carriage house.
A $5 donation is requested for adults. Children under the age of 6 are admitted free of charge. Free parking is available as well.