By SHELLEY TERRY - firstname.lastname@example.org
February is here and with it comes snow, Valentine’s Day, President’s Day and more snow. It’s hard to believe the Southern Hemisphere is enjoying midsummer weather.
The Senior Center is warm and friendly, providing many activities for the Star Beacon’s favorite readers — our senior citizens. Take a look:
• Sit and be fit at 3:30 p.m. every Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
• Bingo on Mondays 1:15 to 3:30 p.m., and Big Bucks Bingo Friday, Feb. 22 1:15 to 3:30 p.m. at Senior Center.
• Big birthday bash at 1:30 p.m. Feb. 13 in the Senior Center Community Room. Sign up by Feb. 11. Cake! The flower of the month is a violet or a primrose and the birthstone is amethyst. Happy birthday!
• Valentine’s Day party, 10:30 a.m. Feb. 14. There will be chocolate, treats, decorations, door prizes, lunch and more. $5 members/ $7 non-members. RSVP by Feb. 11 at front desk. Lunch provided by Community Action. Menu will include Swedish meatballs, gravy, pasta, broccoli, peas and carrots, pears, wheat bread and milk.
• Nutrition site will be closed Feb. 18, but Senior Center will be open and will have lunch. Sign up and pre-pay by Feb. 15.
• A nurse will be in 9 to 11 a.m. every Thursday in February.
• AARP Income Tax Service will be on site on Fridays to prepare income taxes for senior citizens until April 13. Call 998-6750 for an appointment. Donations are appreciated.
• Prescription assistance is available 8 a.m. to noon Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays, and 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. Fridays. $2 per person.
• Get help with heating this winter, call Community Action at 1-866-223-1471.
• Veteran’s Appreciation Pinning Ceremony is set for 1:30 p.m. Feb. 20 at the Senior Center. Veterans of all ages invited for this recognition ceremony.
• Mark your calendar: Game Day Feb. 27.
• Free fun craft day with Eric Woodin from Jefferson Healthcare Center at 1 p.m. Feb. 28 in the upstairs boardroom. Sign up by Feb. 26. Refreshments provided.
• Bob Evans outing Feb. 28. Community fundraiser 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Bob Evans will give back 15 percent of your bill, but you must present your Senior Center flyer. Join your friends and family.
***The Ashtabula Senior Center is 4632 Main Ave., Ashtabula.