Ashtabula County Commissioners approved the temporary appropriations for the first quarter of 2014 Monday.
The county is appropriating $5,965,316 for general fund expenses, $2,570,989 of which is appropriated for salaries. The appropriations will temporarily provide for the expenses and other expenditures for the county’s general fund until March 31.
Commissioners will approved the 2014 permanent appropriations in February.
County officials spent the first week of December hearing budget requests from all of the county department heads, with the vast majority asking for an increase in their budgets for 2014.
Sheriff William Johnson is requesting a $6 million budget for next year. Commissioners appropriated $1,360,027 for the Sheriff’s Department’s first quarter. Johnson said if that is what they are planning for the remaining three quarters, his department will come up short.
Commissioners also approved permanent appropriations of $83, 584,583 for non-general fund expenses with $23.5 million being for salaries.
In other business, Commissioners approved:
• A resolution approving a contract with MV Transportation, Inc. for the operation of the Ashtabula County Transportation Sy-stem (ACTS);
• A resolution approving an equipment lease agreement with MV Transportation, Inc. for ACTS vehicles;
• A resolution re-appointing members to the Ashtabula County Senior Services Levy Advisory Board;
• A resolution re-appointing Marie Lane to the Ashtabula County Law Library Resources Board;
• A resolution re-appointing Joe Moroski to the Western Reserve Resource Conservation and Develop-ment Council and to re-appoint Nathan Paskey as the alternate;
• A resolution supporting the Geneva Swamp protection project in the Township of Geneva, City of Geneva and Township of Saybrook; and,
• A resolution approving the lease and memorandum with the Department of Administrative Services for space occupied by the Ohio Department of Rehabili-tation and Correction in the Grainger Building.
Commissioners also approved a number of financial transactions for the county to keep everything in line for the year’s end.