GENEVA — A methamphetamine lab has been ruled out as a cause of an explosion Wednesday morning at a South Cedar Street home, said Fire Chief Doug Starkey.
Starkey said a cause is still being sought.
Two of the three people — Ashley Vincent and a juvenile male — who were sent to UH Geneva Medical Center Wednesday were treated and released that same day, Starkey said.
The third, Scott Holy, was sent to MetroHealth in Cleveland and remains hospitalized, he said. Holy’s condition is unknown.
The family’s dog has been found and reunited with the family, Starkey said, noting two cats are still missing.
The explosion occurred at about 2:30 a.m. at 92 S. Cedar St., according to Geneva Fire Department reports.
According to the Ashtabula County Auditor’s website, Timothy R. Willis of Geneva owns the property, but he rents it out.
Neighbor Dottie Odegard, who lives next door, said the explosion was 10 times that of a Fourth of July fireworks show.
When firefighters arrived, they found flames shooting from the house.
“(The explosion) blew off several of the walls and all the windows,” Starkey said.
Harpersfield Township and Saybrook Township fire departments assisted Geneva firefighters in battling the blaze.
The fire was brought under control by 3:05 a.m., according to the firefighter’s report.