The Star Beacon; Ashtabula, Ohio

Local News

April 5, 2013

Meth lab ruled out in Geneva home blast

GENEVA —  A methamphetamine lab has been ruled out as a cause of an explosion Wednesday morning at a South Cedar Street home, said Fire Chief Doug Starkey.

Starkey said a cause is still being sought.

Two of the three people — Ashley Vincent and a juvenile male — who were sent to UH Geneva Medical Center Wednesday were treated and released that same day, Starkey said.

The third, Scott Holy, was sent to MetroHealth in Cleveland and remains hospitalized, he said. Holy’s condition is unknown.

The family’s dog has been found and reunited with the family, Starkey said, noting two cats are still missing.

The explosion occurred at about 2:30 a.m. at 92 S. Cedar St., according to Geneva Fire Department reports.

According to the Ashtabula County Auditor’s website, Timothy R. Willis of Geneva owns the property, but he rents it out.

Neighbor Dottie Odegard, who lives next door, said the explosion was 10 times that of a Fourth of July fireworks show.

When firefighters arrived, they found flames shooting from the house.

“(The explosion) blew off several of the walls and all the windows,” Starkey said.

Harpersfield Township and Saybrook Township fire departments assisted Geneva firefighters in battling the blaze.

The fire was brought under control by 3:05 a.m., according to the firefighter’s report.

1
Text Only
Local News
Spring Comes Alive
Ashtabula Spring Cleaning
The Taping of the Teacher: A sticky Sitation
Saturday Fun in Ashtabula County March 22, 2014
American Red Cross Ashtabula County Heroes Breakfast
Rotary Club Dodge Ball Tournament
18th Annual Polar Bear Plunge at Geneva State Park
Ashtabula Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Events
End of year weather extremes
Christmas 2013
Harpersfield Barn Fire
Route 11 Rescue Plymouth Township
Ashtabula Fire
D-Day Conneaut 2013
Flag Day 2013 Ceremony Greenlawn Memory Gardens
House Ads
AP Video