The Star Beacon; Ashtabula, Ohio

Local News

January 27, 2013

Madison Township fire leaves two homeless

MADISON TOWNSHIP — A couple cooking breakfast Saturday morning smelled smoke that was more than the stove was creating and realized the house was on fire, said Madison Fire District Chief Gene Lutz.

“Crews got on the scene and they had smoke coming from the eaves and the vent,” he said. Lutz said firefighters attacked through the roof of the 720-square-foot ranch home.

Lutz said the fire was called in at 10:46 when the couple noticed smoke after the furnace kicked on. He said the house is a rental, but the people had lived there for about five years.

The fire occurred at 1843 Clyde Road and the Red Cross was called in to assist the victims who were able to leave the home without any problems.

“It is looking like the furnace might be the issue,” he said of the cause of the fire. Lutz estimated the fire caused $15,000 damage to the structure and destroyed most of the couple’s possessions.

Lutz said two dogs and one or two cats were unharmed. “Even the goldfish (was okay). I pulled the (fish) out of the dirty tank and put it in a bowl,” he said.

The fire was brought under control in about a half hour and firefighters remained on the scene for about two-and-a-half hours.

1
Text Only
Local News
Spring Comes Alive
Ashtabula Spring Cleaning
The Taping of the Teacher: A sticky Sitation
Saturday Fun in Ashtabula County March 22, 2014
American Red Cross Ashtabula County Heroes Breakfast
Rotary Club Dodge Ball Tournament
18th Annual Polar Bear Plunge at Geneva State Park
Ashtabula Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Events
End of year weather extremes
Christmas 2013
Harpersfield Barn Fire
Route 11 Rescue Plymouth Township
Ashtabula Fire
D-Day Conneaut 2013
Flag Day 2013 Ceremony Greenlawn Memory Gardens
House Ads
AP Video