The Star Beacon; Ashtabula, Ohio

December 24, 2013

Carla Hague out on bond

Staff Writer

JEFFERSON — Carla Hague, the wife of Judge Charles Hague, who is accused of trying to kill him via poison, posted bond late last week and was released from jail.

Hague posted a surety bond of $100,000 on Friday, according to a court spokesperson.

She was indicted last week on charges of attempted murder and contaminating a substance for human consumption, both first-degree felonies, according to court documents.

Authorities say Hague, 71, gave her husband ethylene glycol, commonly known as antifreeze, in September. Details as to how the anti-freeze was administered or a possible motive for the crime have not been released.

Hague, a retired nurse, pleaded not guilty to the charges last week at an arraignment conducted soon after the indictment was returned, according to court records.

Hague must meet a lengthy list of conditions since being released. She is not permitted to leave the state and must keep the court apprised of her current address, which is with her daughter, Kirsten Casper, in Canton.

Casper, 41, was charged last week, with four counts of telephone harassment of a family member. Casper pleaded not guilty during her arraignment in Ashtabula Municipal Court, Monday. A trial date has been set for Jan. 16.

Hague must also wear an electronic device that monitors her whereabouts. She is also ordered to have no contact with Judge Hague or their Saybrook Township home.

A pretrial hearing has been set for Jan. 7 at 11 a.m. Ashtabula attorney William Bobulsky is representing Hague.

Investigators with the Ashtabula County Sheriff’s Department said they were contacted by relatives of the victim on Sept. 19, four days after Charles Hague became ill. He was taken to Ashtabula County Medical Center and then transferred to the Cleveland Clinic by medical helicopter. Judge Hague had a high level of ethylene glycol in his system, Sheriff William Johnson said.

Deputies, with the help of the FBI and Bureau of Criminal Identification and Investigation, determined Judge Hague, 71, had been intentionally poisoned.

Hague has been off on medical leave since the incident, but is expected to return to the bench after the first of the year, officials have said.

The Hagues have been married for 45 years. Judge Hague has been judge of the county’s probate and juvenile courts since 1993.