The company folded in 1904 and sold its plant and machinery to the Colonial Brass Company. Four years later, a more ambitious and successful automotive manufacturing effort moved to Geneva,the E. L. Ewing Automobile Company, from Cleveland.
Setting up shop in the former Factory Row building that housed the Geneva bicycle and steamer ventures, the Ewing Company seemed to have better product than that of the former occupants — a taxi. Priced at $3,000, the vehicle featured a four-cylinder engine manufactured elsewhere. The 50 men who worked at the factory simply assembled the Ewings from pre-made parts.
The Ewing was displayed at the National Auto Show in Madison Square Garden, N.Y., but the vehicle probably left a bigger impression on the dirt roads of Geneva than it did on buyers. It simply didn’t sell.
The following year General Motors purchased the company and, in May 1910, moved the business to the Buick plant in Flint, Mich. Soon after that, the Ewing Taxi was dropped from the GM line.