As for the covered bridge below the bridge, it was abandoned after the new crossing opened. Nature reclaimed the old muddy, rutted road that once provided access. In a few years, the acquisition of land in the valley for a park would begin, laying the groundwork for what would become Indian Trails Park.
A second high-level crossing would come to the city in 1928 with the completion of the Route 20 viaduct. The Spring Street bridge continued to carry traffic until 1981, when concerns about its condition forced closure. It was leveled with explosive charges three years later and replaced with a new structure.
Next week: The final installment of our Forgotten Crossings series.