The Star Beacon; Ashtabula, Ohio

Breaking News

April 15, 2013

2 killed as 2 bombs explode at Boston Marathon

BOSTON —  Two bombs exploded near the finish of the Boston Marathon on Monday, killing two people, injuring 22 others and sending authorities rushing to aid wounded spectators, race organizers and police said.

One runner, a Rhode Island state trooper, said he saw at least two dozen people with very serious injuries, including missing limbs.

About two hours after the winners crossed the line, there was a loud explosion on the north side of Boylston Street, just before the photo bridge that marks the finish line. Another explosion could be heard a few seconds later.

The Boston Marathon said that bombs caused the two explosions and that organizers were working with authorities to determine what happened. The Boston Police Department said two people were killed and 23 others injured.

Competitors and race volunteers were crying as they fled the chaos. Bloody spectators were being carried to the medical tent that had been set up to care for fatigued runners. Authorities went onto the course to carry away the injured while stragglers in the 26.2-mile race were rerouted away from the smoking site.

Roupen Bastajian, a 35-year-old state trooper from Greenville, R.I., had just finished the race when they put the heat blanket wrap on him and he heard the first blast.

“I started running toward the blast. And there were people all over the floor,” he said. “We started grabbing tourniquets and started tying legs. A lot of people amputated. ... At least 25 to 30 people have at least one leg missing, or an ankle missing, or two legs missing.”

A Boston police officer was wheeled from the course with a leg injury that was bleeding.

“There are a lot of people down,” said one man, whose bib No. 17528 identified him as Frank Deruyter of North Carolina. He was not injured, but marathon workers were carrying one woman, who did not appear to be a runner, to the medical area as blood gushed from her leg.

Text Only
Breaking News
  • Police squash rumors of violence in Ashtabula on Facebook

    The Ashtabula Police Department took to social media Tuesday to dispel a rumor.

    July 29, 2014

  • Man shot and killed in Ashtabula

    A Cleveland man was shot and killed while driving on Fern Avenue early Friday, according to the Ashtabula County Coroner’s Office.

    July 25, 2014

  • One dead in house explosion

    A 27-year-old female was killed and a male seriously injured in a house explosion at 4033 Montgomery Road. Authorities say a natural gas leak caused the explosion.

    July 16, 2014

  • Twinkle has been found!

    FROM LOST DOGS OHIO: Twinkle has been found! Here is the message from a family member!

    Thank you everyone who has been sharing this hero's little dog that he dearly loves!
    (Twinkle is found!!!! She had gotten attacked and someone had her and was caring for her and she posted a pic and Sandy's hone started blowing up. She's OK. O little torn up, but sans gonna get het to the net asap. How, we just gotta nitify the site she's been found).

    July 16, 2014

  • LeBron James will return to Cleveland

    LeBron James is going back to the Cleveland Cavaliers.

    July 11, 2014

  • Winning Powerball ticket sold in Conneaut

    True North in Conneaut sold the winning ticket for last night’s Powerball jackpot.

    July 10, 2014

  • RNC panel recommends Cleveland for 2016 convention

    Cleveland won the backing of a Republican National Committee panel on Tuesday, all but guaranteeing the GOP’s next presidential pick will accept the party’s nomination there in 2016.

    July 8, 2014

  • Caleb Denlinger Missing teen found

    A 15-year-old boy missing from his family’s campsite at Pymatuning State Park since late Saturday night was found Monday, some 60 miles away in Millcreek, Pa.

    July 7, 2014 1 Photo

  • million.jpg Accused child killer gets life without parole

    Joshua Million, 26, of Conneaut, will spend the rest of his life in prison for the murder and rape of a 4-year-old girl in early February, per the conditions of a plea agreement approved late Thursday afternoon in the courtroom of Ashtabula County Common Pleas Court Judge Gary Yost. The plea spared Million the death penalty and also avoided a trial that would have proved torturous for the family and friends of the victim, Melanie “Lanie” Powell, prosecutors said.

    June 26, 2014 1 Photo

  • carla hague.jpg Wife pleads guilty in Judge Hague poisoning case

    Carla Hague, the wife of Ashtabula County Common Pleas Juvenile and Probate Judge Charles Hague, pleaded guilty to one count of felonious assault in the September poisoning of the judge, Wednesday during a pretrial hearing in Ashtabula County Common Pleas Court.

    June 18, 2014 1 Photo

House Ads
Parade
Magazine

Click HERE to read all your Parade favorites including Hollywood Wire, Celebrity interviews and photo galleries, Food recipes and cooking tips, Games and lots more.
AP Video